SSB interview is conducted by Services Selection Board for the recruitment of officers into the Armed Forces of India. SSB interview is a five days process with include two stage of testing. Only, when a candidate clears Stage I testing goes for Stage-II testing.
Here, in this post we will discuss about the SSB interview procedure, and the tips to crack the SSB Interview.
Services Selection Board (SSB) Interview Questions with Answers pdf 2017
There are many ways of being Commissioned as an Officer in Indian Armed Forces, both for civilians (after 10+2, graduation, post graduation), as well as for Serving Personnel. Whatever be the mode, SSB is the step all have to clear except army medical corps. There is no limit on the number of attempts that can be made and the SSB Assessors encourage candidates to appear again for SSB.(India). The interview exercise is mainly a Psychological tests of the personality quiz of the candidate, to gauge his/her potential as a future Officer in Indian Armed Forces. The tests conducted by the SSB aim at selecting individuals with OLQs (Officer Like Qualities).
The SSB Board is not concerned with the number of vacancies. Its responsibility is to assess and then, recommend. After recommendation, the candidates appear for medical examination and after that is the Merit List. Those who finally make the grade join for training and hence become Commissioned Officers.
FACILITIES FOR CANDIDATES BY SSB
- Pick-up and Drop from reporting Railway Station.
- Furnished accommodation.
- Medical facilities.
- Game, Magazines, Newspapers, etc.
- The candidates who are declared by UPSC as having cleared the written exam or recommended by Preliminary Interview Board (PIB) in case of Territorial Army (TA), as well as those shortlisted in Direct Entries are called through Call Letters to appear for SSB (Allahabad/Bangalore/Bhopal/Dehradun/Mysore/Varanasi/Coimbatore/Gandhinagar/Kolkata/Rupnagar(Near Chandigarh)) at the Centre allotted to the candidate.
- Reporting on the center is usually one day before first day of testing. Time of reporting varies from center to center.
- On the day of reporting, the candidates are required to verify their educational documents from assigned staff. Candidates are then allotted the SSB board and the chest numbers or a vest on which a number is printed on it. This vest or chest no. becomes the identity of a candidate, as it is easier to identify a person by a number than his/her name.
- The results are also announced by calling the chest numbers of recommended candidates. Candidates have to return their chest numbers whenever they leave the campus of a selection center.
- SSB is a two-stage process. To qualify for Stage II, a candidate needs to clear Screening Test or Stage I. On the date of reporting, the candidates are picked from the railway station and during the evening, certain Forms and Travelling allowance forms are filled. Candidates are also briefed on testing schedule and general instructions, which must be followed throughout the duration of stay in selection center.
- Day 1 (Screening Tests) – Candidates are put through a screening test which comprises of intelligence tests followed by picture perception and discussion test. Based on the performance in these tests some of the candidates are retained for stage 2 testing and others are allowed to return home the same day. Hence, qualifying in this test is most important.
- Day 2 (Psychology Tests) – On day 2, candidates screened in on day 1 are put through psychological tests which comprise of Word Association Test (WAT), Thematic Apperception test (TAT ) and Situation Reaction Test (SRT). In addition, the candidates are asked to describe themselves (Self Description). On Completion of these tests, the interview will start.
- Day 3 and Day 4 (GTO Tasks) – Group Testing Officers (GTO) Test (Third and Fourth day). The following tests are conducted in this category :-
- Group discussion
- Group Planning Exercise (sometimes known as Military Planning Exercise)
- Progressive Group Tasks
- Half Group Tasks
- Individual Obstacles
- Group Obstacles Race or Snake Race
- Command Task
- Final Group Task
Note : Interview :- (Held during afternoon/evening hours on 2nd/3rd/4th day)
- Day 5 (Conference) – On the final day, every Assessor and the candidate sit together for and have a chat- the fate of the candidate for that SSB is decided by the Assessors collectively there. The candidates are required to appear before the complete Board of Examiners composed of President, Deputy President, all the psychologists, all the GTOs, and Technical Officer.
After the Board Meeting of every candidate is over,the final result is declared within ½ an hour. Selected candidates are required to stay back for their medical examination (takes about 3 to 5 working days) in the Military Hospital nearby or at a different place and the remaining candidates are dropped at the Railway Station.
TIPS TO CRACK SSB INTERVIEW
As we all know SSB is the toughest interview for any service in this country. Only few candidates are able to crack this interview in first attempt. In this page we will provide some useful tips which will help you to crack SSB Interview.
First Impression and Dress Code :-
Enter the interview hall with smile and calm face, as this shows that you are cool. Also have a proper dress code in the interview. Walk with head held high, with upraised shoulder and chest. This gives a positive, confident look. Also before entering into the hall ask for permission and wait for the response, if you got the response from interviewer open the door with smiling face(the smile should be true) and march ahead into the room with confidence, and wish the officer as per the time.(good morning, evening etc). Also stand behind the chair of the candidate and dont stand in front of the chair, as it shows that you have a thought by your mind that you will granted to have a seat. Its wrong, the candidate should stand behind or by the side of the chair and seeks permision from the officer to sit. If the permission is granted he should thank the officer and sit comfortably with out shaking or changing the position of the chair.
Dress Code :- It is better to wear a light color shirt and dark color pant, If you have stripes in the shirt means have checked design in the pant or if you have checked design in shirt means wear pant with striped designs, as this gives a decent professional look Also wear a tie which matches to the shirt and pant color.
Behavior during interview :-
Body language plays a vital role in the interview. Experts say that above 93% of nonverbal communications plays a main role in interview. Sit in proper manner, also dont shake your hands, fingers, or legs during the interview. The officer matches the response from your mouth to the body language what you are showing at that time. Also try to have a proper eye contact. Keep your breath normal.
Crystal clear thought and explanations :-
The thought and answers coming form the candidate should be crystal clear. If the interviewer asks a question means, the candiate has to think about that clearly and make a clear answer with explanations. Never say yes/No type replies in the interview. As this shows your confidence level is low. If you explain your answer with positive points, it gains you more mark in the interview. So please avoid the yes/no type responses. Also if you know only little knowledge about that topic means, tel to the interview that sir i know these things about this question sorry sir iam not getting more points about this topic at this moment. This shows your honesty and the interview likes this only. He doesnt expect the candidate to be library. Be polite and confident in your answer friends.
Truthful to the interviewer(Not beating around the bush) :-
As i told in the above para, be truthful to the interviewer. If you dont know, tel openly sorry sir i dont now. Its better to say like this than beating around the bush. Also the important point is dont say suddenly after the questions is ended by the interviewer, that sorry sir i dont know. Just try to give atleast a single point of answer for the question. i.e. Think for a while and if you really dont get the answer, say them politely sorry sir i dont know.
Dont lose your ground even in tough questions :-
Losing the ground in the interview is common for all SSB candidates. Since this is a oral war between the interviewer and the candidate. Its not an easy thing to win over the oral war with the interviewer, as they have real war experience. lolz. :). To avoid this situation, dont argue with the interviewer. The interviewer expects that the candidate should not lose his ground, and face all the situations tactfully. If you have sound knowledge in subjects and positive replies you never lose your grounds. Tackle the questions with presence of sense and show your knowledge and positive approach with the replies.
Analysing capability :-
The analysing capability is one of the important quality of an officer. Most of the candidate have the analysing capability, But what they expect is the whether we are using our analysing capability even under pressure situations or tough situations. So the interviewer cross checks this quality with the candidate through out the interview by triggering various questions at different situations.
SSB INTERVIEW QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Types of questions are as follows :-
1. Introduction questions or Feel Free Questions or Calm Down Questions.
Usually these type of questions are put to the candidates after their entry into the interview panel. The interviewing officer asks some basic questions which can be easily answered by the candidate so that the candidate feel ease with the interviewing officer. The questions may be of
1. Which place you are coming from and tel something about that place?
2. Tel something about your name and why named so?
3. Tel five things about your native and which you like most?
How to answer ?
For the first question, answer should not be like this , Sir iam from Chennai.
- But the answer is sir im from chennai, a northen district and coastal city of Tamilnadu which is also the state capital of tamil nadu. The population is about ………… and the main occupations of people are……… The speciality is ……….. and tourism is………. and the special things are OTA etc. Like this the answer should cover over all parts of the chennai. This gives a broad approach of your answer and it shows your knowledge.
- The answer given to the interviewer should be crystal clear and optimistic(positive) and truthful. These are about the Introduction questions. It is easy to answer the introduction questions and answer in an optimistic view and it plays a vital role.
2. Usual Questions.
The Usual questions part carry two types of questions –
Rapid Fire Questions : These Rapid Fire Questions are a set of questions which are asked at a stretch. That nealy ten to fifteen number of questions will be triggered out by the interviewer. So that he checks how much questions is observed by the candidate and answered well and how truthful with his replies and all.
The RPF questions may be starts from educational background, views about parents, teachers, friends view about you and your view over them. Hobbies and interests at free time, Checking leadership qualities by asking your extra curricular and how the candidate will organize a task or situation, Games and Sports etc.
Stress Interview :- The stress interview gives the original personality of the candidate. Since normally it is easy to answer all the questions without losing temper if we have good communication skills. But answering at the time of stress interview is the real success and the candidate with all OLQ will cross this hurdle easily. The interviewer cross check the candidate that whether under stressful and hard situations the candidate doesnt loses his originality and keeps his position with good decision making and solution finding abilities.
Example :- What is the difference in brake system of train and bus. If we explain about hyralic brake and normal show brake system. He starts to grill in hydralic system such as what type of liquid is used and all. If we answer it correctly, he triggers as why such liquid is used instead of this liquid. He continues and tries to break the ground of the candidate. In these type of situations the candidate has to be keep smiling and to answer the questions by showing his knowledge without blufing. If he doesnt know the answer, better tel the interviewer, sorry sir i dont know.
Asking other branch or unrelated questions. i.e. If a candidate is from computer science and engineering back ground, he may be asked questions from mechanical stream.
Asking questions in hard or harsh manner like threatening. Like this the interviewing officer checks the pulse of the candidate.
3. Social problem or Candidate Solution type questions.
In these part the interviewer may ask questions such as world issues, national issues and solution for those issues. Also he checks the depth of knowledge and our approach to the issues. He asks our views to the issues and solution for the issue.
Example :- He asks the candidate that the views of India on terrorism is good or bad, if good why it is good and if bad why it is bad, then tel you solution like this.
Current Affairs and General Knowlege and issues :- He also ask some history and current affairs of the nation and world. Eg. Tel five things you recently read in newspaper. Tel deeply about a particular news
4. Technical questions or Application Knowledge questions
If we go to the TGC entry i.e Technical Graduation Course and TES entry i.e. Technical Entry Scheme they may put forward some basic technical questions relating to our daily day to day life.
Example :- If we say that we play cricket, he may ask how you will apply physics law to the swing bowling etc. Also you will apply the phythogores theorem to the table tennis service etc.
If you are from engineering back ground the questions also from, Basic Network questions Basic physics laws All Engineering fundamental questions.
In these set of questions he find out application knowledge. i.e. application of our theoretical knowledge in the physical day to day tasks which is essential for the army men.
Click here for – SSB Personel Interview Questions PDF
Keep in regular contact with our web page for more news and updates. For any queries you can write us on the below provided box.